In Case You Missed This...
The first time I saw Cobrafuma live, I was so surprised, not only because I didn't know the band at the time, but also because they were the last band playing at the festival. I was totally tired, and they were like an injection of adrenaline straight into my body. It was memorable and it introduced me very well what the band is.
Droga Total is the successor to the homonymous debut album Cobrafuma, which was a full-throttle album with a lot of punk and thrash influences, drinking from the same fountain as the mighty Motörhead. It is one of my all-time favourite Portuguese albums. But what about Droga Total?
It was released on 21 August on vinyl via Lovers & Lollypops, and it compiles seven violent tracks. With all the lyrics in Portuguese, just like its predecessor, Droga Total has a rawer feeling than the previous work. The punk feeling was already present on the first album, but here it is more expressive, more D-Beat, and more sludgy. It's an aggressive and violent discharge of anger and guitar riffs that cannot leave anyone indifferent.
I think it could maybe benefit from better production, but in the end, the rawness is perfect, and it couldn't have been any other way. It's also so good that, like the previous one, it feels too short, but then you realize you're already looping the whole album again and again.
The charm of Cobrafuma is that they don't follow any formula or rules. Although heavily inspired by great references, the band is building their own path without any pressure or pretension.
Let me know your thoughts on this!

No comments:
Post a Comment