IMT | Illwind - The Unfolding at the End of Light (Atmospheric Doom - PER)

Album Cover
 

I Missed This... 

It seems the South American scene is emerging and getting more attention than it did in the past. Today, I bring you another gem from there.

Illwind is a Peruvian band that released their debut work earlier this year, on 3 July 2026. The Unfolding at the End of Light was released by Personal Records, a Mexican label, on CD and digitally. It consists of five original songs and one cover of “I Wanna Be Your Dog,” originally by The Stooges. The band features four members: two guitarists, one bassist/vocalist, and a drummer.

The album starts with a slow and doomy intro, like a countdown to our own doom... before immediately turning into a stoner-sounding track and then moving into some cool, vintage psychedelic guitar solos.

At this point, I was confused and surprised, as I wasn't expecting this level of depth...

It certainly has a deep but chilling atmosphere. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it doesn't need to. I wasn't expecting it to. It has a good balance between stoner and doom; it is not extraordinary, but it is easy to listen to and enjoyable.

All the musicians do their jobs very well, with the deep-voiced vocalist giving the album its doom touch, along with the bass, while the guitars keep the pace between doom and stoner.

Overall, it's a work worth listening to, although it may lose the listener's attention sometimes. Still, it can definitely be played several times. Like I said previously, they don't reinvent the wheel, but they don't do their job by the book either.

Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment