Faerie Ring released Weary Traveler in 2023, an amazing work that I deeply enjoyed and played a lot. I'm a huge fan of dense stoner/doom music, so I was really looking forward to the third LP from the American quartet.
Faerie Ring decided to give their third album the band's own name. It was released by King Volume Records on 21 August on CD, vinyl, cassette, and digitally. It consists of 10 tracks with a total duration of just over 37 minutes. The cool artwork was created by Ricardo Diseño, and the album was mastered by Jonathan Nuñez (Torche guitarist) at Sound Artillery Studio.
This album is the perfect combination of everything I expect from a stoner/doom or doom/stoner album... A dirty and dense record where the bass and guitar take us into a headbanging hypnosis through sheer heaviness. The voice sounds almost as if it is coming from far away, in pain or anger, and the vocals work really well.
Overall, the album has clearly defined its genre, but it definitely has a grungy and shoegaze aura. It also knows when to speed things up and make room for a punkish track (“No Surrender”). The change of drummer was an upgrade; his work is amazing, not only on this track but throughout the entire album.
In my opinion, this is one of the best releases of the year in the genre and a confirmation of the band's value.
And now... I need to see them live!

No comments:
Post a Comment